Sunday, August 3, 2008

Men in Sandals

What is your opinion on men wearing sandals?

I like men in sandals. I love seeing guys in sandals at the beach on vacations, and camping.

I think they look innapropriate for at work (unless you are the boss, or you sell sandals for a living!) for dancing, in nightclubs, or in a sit-down restaurant.

But I think people who wear sandals, men or women, have to take care of their feet, and toenails.
Sandals are good for this, actually. They give your feet a break from being confined in shoes with no sunlight and fresh air.

In my humble opinion, I think you can't wear them to death so they are falling apart, except around the house. Get a pair that is a good fit and not super cheap. Put them on in the early spring when you start wearing shorts so you don't have a tan line at the ankles!

Socks with sandals are ok at home, but in public only if you are definitely not single looking to date anyone new. Unfortunately, sandals with socks have a bad rap. I think they are just too comfortable that way. Kinda like wearing sweats and an old t-shirt.

Maybe someday someone will invent a sandal/sock combination that is both comfortable and stylish. Remember when bowling shoes were in style? Nice leather shoes in bright colors, that would last your lifetime. The VW of shoes.

I just bought a pair of Birkenstock's. I love the way I can walk all day in them at the fair, a festival, the farmer's market and my feet don't hurt. I had a pair that were a bright trendy orange/salmon color that I wore to death and lasted almost 3 years.

This time our local Birkenstock store had closed and I could only find 3 styles to pick from at Stan's Bootery (nice store.) So I have the classic hippie style, that my neice called something like "Jesus sandals." But everyone at the Farmer's Market was wearing them......

I'm sad that a German town like Milwaukee lost a store that originated in Germany. I love that Birkenstock's were invented by a woman. As a German woman, I feel a kind of loyalty.

No comments: