Friday, July 25, 2008

Hi, this is Webster's biggest pal and family member.




One of his brothers read his blog and wanted to add that Webster does make a sound, an everyday kind of sound. He sneezes. He doesn't sneeze every day, or anything. But when he does sneeze it is always about 10 times in a row!

Here's my blog posting:

Ode to a popcorn popper.
------------------------------------------------
Thank God for air popcorn poppers!

I want to be outwardly grateful for everything I truly appreciate. And today it is our air popcorn popper. It is about 11 years old. It was inexpensive--actually a premium from Dad's work.

Here's what I like about it besides that:

* It never burns the popcorn. Our microwave can burn popcorn to a crisp--creating a lot of smoke in the process!

* I don't have to watch it pop--of course you can hear it, it is very noisy, so there is no way you could forget it's on. But when each kernel pops, it pops out of the popper. The only thing left in the popper when it is finished is a few unpoppable kernels.

* I don't have to clean it each time it is used. Because I only add the butter afterwards, the popper itself only needs cleaning once every few months or so, to just spiff it up. I just tip it over and dump out a few unpopped kernels of corn and put it away (after it is cooled a little, of course.)

* I get to decide how many calories to add to the final product. I can eat the popcorn plain when I am on a diet, or I can add oil or butter and salt in exactly the amounts I want.

* No lung cancer!! The stuff they add to the microwave popcorn can cause lung cancer!

* No popcorn lust from co-workers, and complaints about making the entire breakroom and its vicinity smell like a movie theater.

* It is simple to operate. It is basically a very hot hair dryer. It doesn't even have an ON/OFF switch. Its on when it is plugged in, and off when it is not. So less features to break, fewer crevices to get dirty and have to clean, and this is probably why even now they are so cheap to buy.

I am in that time of life when I am trying to simplify. There are so many kitchen gagets that you don't really need or use that clutter up the limited space in my kitchen. I have actually gotten rid of a few electric appliances. Some are one-season wonders. But that air popper keeps on making the cut.

Here's my tip for making the best popcorn:
We get organic popcorn in bulk from our natural foods Co-Op. This stuff is great. It also seems fresher, and doesn't have that "fresh out of the plastic bag smell."
Then we add Smart Balance butter with Omega 3 oils in it. Then sea salt or popcorn salt.

Mmmmmmm Even Webster loves it (he likes his serving without the butter.)

Speaking of movies, "Blades of Glory" was a hoot, with some twists that were very creative. It reminded me of "The Odd Couple."

No comments: